Posted on Nov 22, 2022

The Mabra Law Firm

Damages Available to You After a Hit and Run

If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run accident, you may be wondering how much compensation you’re entitled to. The answer is: it depends.

The first thing you should do is file a police report. If possible, get the license plate number of the car that hit you and any other identifying information about the vehicle, including its make and model.

Take pictures of the scene of the accident and any damage to your vehicle or personal property. You should also get medical treatment if needed—your insurance company may require proof that you received treatment before they’ll pay for it. 

If you have collision coverage on your auto policy, your insurer will take care of most repairs needed on your vehicle. If you don’t have collision coverage but only liability coverage, then it’s up to the other driver’s insurance company to pay for repairs (though they may still try to make you pay).

Your auto insurance company may also help with any lost income or out-of-pocket expenses related to time away from work while recovering from injuries sustained during an accident. Your auto insurance company may offer additional benefits like rental car reimbursement or travel expenses if they paid for them on behalf of another driver who injured you.

Click learn more to read our last post.

The Mabra Law Firm
1231 Booth St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30318

Contact Us
Message sent. We'll get back to you soon.